Yesterday I spent a good 4 hours ‘experimenting’ in the kitchen and it felt glorious! I always love coming home to Mum’s kitchen and looking through the cupboards to see what different ingredients she has that I can make into a new recipe. M
y parents were both working yesterday, so I volunteered to cook dinner.
I have always loved Shepherd’s Pie, so decided to put a simple but delicious twist on the classic dish using sweet potato.
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 large
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 lb sweet potato, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F ( or 185 C)
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into cubes, about 1” in size. Steam the potatoes to soften
- Place steamed potatoes, yogurt and dried rosemary in a food processor and blend until stiff but creamy
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and brown ground turkey. Drain the meat and return to the skillet
- Add peas, carrot and onion to the skillet and combine with meat, stirring for about 2 mins.
- Lightly coat a casserole dish or deep-dish pie dish with cooking spray and pour the meat mixture in, Pack the mixture fairly firmly into the dish
- Pour potato mixture over meat, spreading out evenly
- Bake for 40 mins or until potatoes are slightly browned
This dish received two thumbs up from both Mum and Dad, making it a sure pleaser!
I’m off to have my annual optometrist appointment this afternoon, luckily I had lots of beta-carotene for dinner last night