As I mentioned in this post I am currently completing a short three week community rotation as part of my dietetic internship. While working with the P
oudre Valley Hospital System (PVHS) Wellness Dietitian, I have had the opportunity to help with employee wellness presentations and events. PVHS have a great program set up for employees called the ‘LiveWell Challenge’ which promotes an overall healthy approach to life for their employees through education, awareness and targeted intervention. Employees get awarded points for meeting healthy goals, such as biking to work 3 days per week or volunteering at the Garden of Eatin’. The reward for employees that participate and reach a certain number of points? Paid time off!!
Today we did a cooking demonstration as part of the “Garden Fresh’ series to give employees ideas of how to prepare fresh fruits and vegetables in a variety of ways. The main feature of today’s recipes was peaches. It is prime peach season and everyone in Colorado is going crazy about how good the Colorado grown peaches are this year.
Recipe #1: Grilled Peaches
- 2 peaches
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- 1 tsp toasted cocunut
- juice of fresh lime
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- slice peaches into desired thickness.
- Toss peaches with fresh lime juice and cinnamon
- Place peaches on grill and cook for approx 3 mins each side
- Place grilled peaches on a place and pair with Greek yogurt.
- Drizzle agave over both peaches and yogurt.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve while peaches are still warm
- 2 peaches
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 green pepper
- 2 green onions
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- Finely chop peaches and tomatoes, green pepper and onion.
- Mix in cilantro.
- Place ingredients into food processor or blender and pulse for 5 seconds on and off, repeating until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Serve chilled with baked tortilla chips
Many employees who came to the demonstration could smell the grilled peaches from down the hospital hallways so simply followed their senses